The Cosmopolis poster was analyzed and Rob's top billing was noted. An excerpt from Slant Magazine:
"Pattinson. Cronenberg. Cosmopolis." There's no question that allowing the heartthrob's surname to stand alone is a testament to his proven abilities as a major box-office draw, but this image also reflects the first time Pattinson has been taken as seriously by an auteur as he is by legions of unwavering fans. That Pattinson and Cronenberg are getting equal billing speaks volumes about the director's confidence in his star, and it pretty much cements this 25-year-old as having the finest post-Twilight career of the mega-brand's insta-celebs. It's a lot more telling, for instance, than Cosmopolis being voted "must-see movie of the year" on MTV.com, whose readers probably didn't look far past that stubbled jawline. What's surely more enticing for a different set of viewers is the eclectic international cast whose names line the bottom: Juliette Binoche. Mathieu Almaric. Samantha Morton. Paul Giamatti. Pattinson has found himself in some truly ace company, and the film's test, beyond adapting a novel that wasn't so well received, will be proving that this actor has mustered the chops to lead it.Cosmopolis was also named 'Poster of the Week' by Total Film:
The teaser continues to receive positive feedback as well.
Although I spew a lot of Twilight hate in my news posts, I’m actually rooting for Robert Pattinson to break out of the Edward mold and have a successful career. I thought WATER FOR ELEPHANTS was going to be the film that proved Robert Pattinson was more than just a brooding vampire, but it underwhelmed and so now I’m left hoping COSMOPOLIS will be that film. I, like the rest of the planet, was extremely impressed with the short teaser trailer we saw last week and if that 1 minute montage is any indication, Robert Pattinson nails this part and definitely grows up as an actor.Cinema Blend:
I can’t say I’m always a fan of David Cronenberg, but I love the idea of him and Pattinson teaming up for a film. Cronenberg is exactly what Robert Pattinson needs at this point in his career.
Hopefully, the right company will get behind this and maybe Robert Pattinson can get some awards recognition.
If you're like us then your jaw has been on the floor since the first teaser trailer for David Cronenberg's Cosmopolis dropped one week ago. In addition to showing us a very different Robert Pattinson than the one we've gotten to know in the Twilight movies, the preview also showed us that this could be the film that brings Cronenberg back to his roots. We're eagerly anticipating the feature length trailer, which, sadly, we probably won't see for a while, but for now we have four brand new stills from the movie.Grizzly Bomb:
For those of you doubting the strength of Robert Pattinson as an actor, just shut up. Seriously, just shut up already. The guy did the nearly impossible – He escaped the Twilight persona. Robert Pattinson is an extremely talented young actor with an already eclectic resume and disgustingly bright future ahead of him. And I’m not just saying this because I love Twilight, which I don’t. I’m saying it because the difference between him and Taylor Lautner is that Pattinson actually understands the meaning of emotion and facial expression. If you’re still skeptical, check out the teaser trailer below. Cosmopolis also stars Paul Giamatti, Samantha Morton, Jay Baruchel, Kevin Durand, and Juliette Binoche, AKA, the best cast I’ve seen this year thus far.Sound + Vision/translation via:
COSMOPOLIS – THE TEASER OF THE YEAR an noticeably awaited film, an avant la lettre cult object, that gathers Don DeLillo, Robert Pattinson, producer Paulo Branco and, last but not least, director David Cronenberg. We already have our release date, poster and a brief and genius teaser that exists as itself as a contagious 30 seconds film – if nobody has invented the teaser of the year’s award this is surely the time to do so.”Screen Rant:
The most recent addition to Pattinson’s indie resume is a film that truly deserves to be labeled “edgy” and “risque”: David Cronenberg’s Cosmopolis.Movieland:
Many are not quite sure if Pattinson can tear himself away from that image but you can put all those doubts to rest, because a short teaser for the upcoming movie Cosmopolis is here, and it looks amazing.Best Movies Ever:
The international teaser trailer has hit below, and it packs quite a nice punch and makes you want to see the full trailer. When I heard he was on this film, naturally I thought nothing more of it, but after seeing the film and this teaser, I can say, you’ll look at Pattinson with some real acting respect. It’s nice when you’re lowered expectations are suddenly raised like that.Moviepilot:
The Wild And Wonderful Teasing Teaser For 'Cosmopolis'... Robert Pattinson is so over exposed that we can't help but feeling like we know him, really know him. Today we're here to tell you to forget everything we and you think about him. Because the first teaser for David Cronenberg's Cosmopolis will blow your mind.Total Film:
The teaser looks every bit as scuzzily weird as we’ve come to expect from Cronenberg, with Pattinson clearly relishing the opportunity to play a more engaging character than that afforded him by TheTwilight Saga.Cinevue:
The trailer seems to have taken some inspiration from the work of French enfant terrible Gaspar Noè, featuring a pounding soundtrack, fizzing titles and flashes of some severely screwed-up imagery. Of all of Pattinson's post-Twilight roles, his latest turn asCosmopolis' millionaire protagonist Eric Packer could be the one to finally establish himself as an actor to take seriously, shedding the romantic gloss for something a lot darker.Collider:
As unfair as it is, I’m just as guilty as the next guy or gal of writing off Robert Pattinson in any role because he’s, well, Edward Cullen. In this NSFW international teaser trailer for David Cronenberg’s Cosmopolis adapation, though, Pattinson is far from a sparkly vampire with self-control issues. In fact, he kind of seems like a badass. Say what you will, but I think that a little Cronenberg gore and violence is exactly what the doctor ordered to help begin laying Cullen to rest.Tweets have been endless with their support from writers, film buffs, fanboys, and even Tyler who worked on set.
- #Cosmopolis will blow you all away, Rob is a gritty and real anti-hero! Rob was a champ! Cronenberg had him running and gunning take after take and he was up for it. Totally changed my opinion of him.
- "@Claire_dlR: @Spilner_Durden :D Nice. Have you seen the teaser that was released last week?” YES! I'm 100 times more excited to see it now!
- @RobertDazzlesMe I honestly think, as with most Cronenberg films, this could be a sleeper hit with Oscar buzz, depends on how 'crazy' it is.
- “@noemiesornet: @Spilner_Durden Hi, what was your work on Cosmopolis ? :)” Locations Production Assistant for a shoot at The Opera House
@Lynnee08 yeah I think Twilight gave a lot of people the wrong impression of him but Cosmopolis will be the film that truly makes his name.
- “@RobertDazzlesMe Do you think Cosmopolis could win at Cannes?" not only can but will! It will at least get great reviews from true experts.
- @HarryKolmer: Is it possible that I think a Robert Pattinson movie looks like it could be the best of the year? Damn right. #cosmoplis
- @Kay11thLetter Forgot to mention the trailer for Cosmopolis. Boy, that looks good. Pattinson looks actually brilliant. Giamatti in it as well. #imthere
- @mallaby David Cronenberg’s Cosmopolis looks incredible! I might actually go and see a Robert Pattinson movie
- @bretmeholick Cosmopolis trailer is out. I think this may kickstart the era of hypocritical men backtracking on Pattinson. "I always liked Rob!"-2014 man
- @nathanfisher SERIOUSLY Cronenberg's COSMOPOLIS teaser is even better than expected. R-Patz haters gonna get schooled
- @Jet_Strajker This could be the best Cronenberg since his masterpiece Crash. Pattinson seems to fit perfectly. It just raised my expectation.
- @Bryanw702 That Robert Pattinson movie Cosmopolis looks badass!!
- @MattGoldberg Do you hear that? It's the sound of people changing their opinions of Robert Pattinson
Source: Robsessed Pattinson